Five-Year Preschool Class Goals
To instill in children a joy and excitement for learning by providing opportunities for development and expression of creativity through art, music, dance and language arts in a safe, loving environment.
- Reinforcing the teachings of prior classes at Little Friends, both in terms of social and classroom behavior and academics, preparing students for Kindergarten
- Identifying shapes and colors, including color words
- Identifying letters and the sounds they make
- Introducing sight words
- Identifying rhyming and positional words, as well as opposites
- Writing first and last names, as well as simple words
- Counting and identifying numbers, as well as writing numbers up to 30
- Identifying and creating patterns
- Introducing measurement and graphs
- Giving the student the opportunity to express themselves through various art media
- Learning songs and allowing students to enjoy music and movement
Teacher – Diane Hanna
Diane is a lifelong resident of Columbia. She received her B.S. from Illinois College, majoring in Business Administration and Economics. She attended SWIC for her early childhood education classes. Diane started as a substitute at Little Friends before becoming a teacher in 2007.